Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Thyme for a change

I have used drug store benzoyl peroxide for a blemish treatment.  After researching benzoyl peroxide I knew I had to find an alternative.  In 1981 the Journal of Science concluded that "caution should be recommended in the use of this and other free radical generating compounds." Studies have shown it to be carcinogenic and skin tumor promoting.  I was putting that on my face!?



Luckily I found a study done by Leeds Metropolitan University that discovered that the herb Thyme is as effective as benzoyl peroxide as a acne treatment.  Yipee!  Mother nature always has a better alternative to the chemical laden products that companies produce in a lab.  I happen to have some Thyme essential oil and decided to give it a try and have been very happy with the results.  I wouldn't recommend using the oil undiluted.  I tried that and found it too hot.  I have been adding a drop or two to my face cleansing oil instead.  An astringent made with Thyme and witch hazel would be very effective too as well.  I am in the process of making a batch and will let you know the results….

No comments:

Post a Comment